There is a real treasure trove of art in Venice starting on Thursday, May 19 with Venice Art Crawl and Friday – Sunday, May 20-22 with Venice Art Walk. Since we’ve covered Art Crawl numerous times, a monthly event on the third Thursday, coverage for Art Walk will be first, followed by Art Crawl.
Venice Art Walk
Friday- Sunday, May 20-22
|Art by Ed Ruscha Jr.|
WHAT: The Venice Art Walk is the best way to experience all that is great about this legendary beach community. The Art Walk provides rare opportunities to go behind the scenes—exploring artists’ studios and private residences that are not otherwise open to the public. A destination to meet and interact with cultural tastemakers, it offers visitors the chance to bring home their own work of art by renowned emerg ing and established contemporary artists and designers at one of the Art Walk’s signature Silent Auctions and other artful living emporiums. All events benefit Venice Family Clinic.
· ART WALK STUDIO TOURS: See where art is made. Since it began, Venice has been home to some of the world’s leading artists. For just this one day a year, some of the community’s most exciting creative minds allow us a glimpse inside their world. Ticket price: $50. For details visit: http://theveniceartwalk.org/venice-artists-studio-tour
· SILENT AUCTIONS: More than 400 artists have donated sculpture, fine art, and ceramics, transforming Westminster School into the area’s biggest art gallery. Take home a piece of Venice art – and support free health care for people in the community. Artists who have donated their work include Kim Abeles, Peter Alexander, Tony Berlant, Laddie John Dill, Joe Goode, Kim McCarty, Judy Stabile, and Tom Wudl. Entrance to the silent auction is FREE! For a complete list of artists in the auction: http://theveniceartwalk.org/silent-auction
In addition to the artists included in the silent auction, members of the community have stepped up to support the Clinic and create events that showcase contemporary popular culture. Among the new features of Art Walk 2011 are:
· ART WITHIN REACH: Own a piece of the future at a price point anyone can afford! This new addition showcases limited editions by fifteen internationally recognized and emerging artists never before featured in the Art Walk. Visit http://theveniceartwalk.org/art-within-reach
· ART WALK SKATE SURF: one night only, Friday May 20: Kicking off the Venice Art Walk weekend is a skate and surfboard auc tion featuring artist-designed skate decks and specially-shaped boards by more than 60 artists. FREE. Visit http://theveniceartwalk.org/art-walk-skate-surf
· ARCHITECTURE TOURS: Designed to give guests an opportunity to explore important architectural gems in Venice and the Westside of Los Angeles, ticket holders will be given privileged access to private residences and gardens designed by some of the city’s most renowned architects and landscape designers. Visit http://theveniceartwalk.org/tours.
More information on the Artists, Auctions, Architecture Tours, Event Schedule and Tickets can be found at: http://theveniceartwalk.org/
The Art Walk Studio Tours and signature Silent Auctions are complemented by the Community Fair on the green at Westminster School. There you will find the Art Within Reach Pop Up gallery, Artful Living (a select auction of items for the home), music, great food, and more. Admission is FREE!
WHERE: Westminster School, 1010 Abbot Kinney Blvd., Venice
WHEN: Venice Art Walk & Auctions will be held on Sunday, May 22 (10am–6pm)
Architecture Tours will be held on Saturday, May 21 (11am-4pm) and Sunday, May 22 (11am–2pm)
Art Walk Skate Surf auction will be held Friday, May 20 (6–10pm)
For full calendar of events please visit: http://theveniceartwalk.org/calendar
Venice Art Crawl
Thursday, May 19
|Art by Brian Mylius|
The Art Crawl features local art displayed at hotels, galleries, stores, private residences and other venues. Generally the venues sprout off the boardwalk between Venice Boulevard and Rose Avenue. While the official start time is 6 p.m. most events start around 7 p.m, but that’s Venice time, so it could be later… For those who knew Sponto, this monthly event would make him proud!
On Westminster, catch the Bordello with paintings by Brian Mylius, which is not to be missed! (Just look for a house with gargoyles.) Figtree’s Cafe at Paloma Avenue will have art inside and music outside, while Cadillac Hotel at Dudley Avenue (where Sponto Gallery was for many years at & Dudley) features art indoors.