Awards Given to Venice Non-Profits: 3:15 PM on the Andalusia Stage, the AKFA board of directors will award grants to the following Venice nonprofits: 826LA, Beyond Baroque, Inside Out Community Arts, Venice Arts, Venice Oceanarium, and A Window Between Worlds.
In addition, the 2011 recipients of the AKFA’s Spirit of Venice Awards will be recognized. Nominated by the community for their contributions to the heart and soul of Venice, they include the following:
• David King, Garden Master of Venice High School Learning Garden and Founder & Chair of the Seed Library of Los Angeles (SLOLA)
• Venice Art Crawl (accepted by co-founders Daniel Samakow, Edizen Stowell, Mark Rojas)
• Yo! Venice! (accepted by co-founder Bret)
• Teresa Skinner, Sr. Lead Officer at Los Angeles Police Department
Parking: lots are located near Windward and on Electric Ave., Washington Blvd. near Venice Pier. Also take the Playa Vista Beach Shuttle, Santa Monica Big Blue Bus or LA Metro, bike, walk, skateboard!
9:45 AM – Family Parade (start California Ave / end Westminster Ave)5:15 PM – Superbroke Brass and Tin and Strings – AK Blog pick- check them out!
10:00 AM – L.A. Record x dublab Sound System (DJ set)
11:00 AM – Club Pacific Band
11:45 AM – DJ set
12:15 PM – Tom Brosseau
1:00 PM – DJ set
1:30 PM – Hanni El Khatib
2:15 PM – DJ set
2:45 PM – Swahili Blonde
3:30 PM – DJ set
4:00 PM – Mia Doi Todd
4:45 PM – DJ set
5:15 PM – Thundercat
10:45 AM – Sister Rogers
11:30 AM – Capital Cities
12:15 PM – Kris Mars
1:00 PM – Seasons
1:45 PM – Gantez Warrior
2:30 PM – Dumbfoundead (aka DFD)
3:15 PM – AKFA Community Awards Ceremony – AK Blog pick
4:00 PM – Family of the Year
5:00 PM – Kisses
10:00 AM – Frosty
12:00 PM – Marion
1:00 PM – Carlos Niño
2:00 PM – Ale, Suzanne Kraft & Soft Soil Music Club
4:00 PM – Tom Chasteen
5:00 PM – Anthony Valadez – AK Blog pick
There are food trucks and food booth stationed all over Abbot Kinney.
Eat, Drink & Enjoy!
Look for the AK Blog Crew at the festival!
1st Fridays Preview: Breast Cancer Fundraiser at The Harlot
October 7, is First Fridays on Abbot Kinney. Did you know that October is also Breast Cancer Awareness Month? It sure is and to celebrate it, a Breast Cancer fundraiser at the edgy new salon, The Harlot will host a festive fundraising event from 6 – 10pm.The Fundraiser consists of 3 inspiring activities, titled the Goddess Bazaar:
* Silent Auction – There will be dinners from top Abbot Kinney restaurants, framed art work, personal training services, organic facials and hair services from The Harlot Salon and more.
* “Think Pink” Styling Station – A station were guests can get a pink feather, a pink hair strand and/or pink nail polish applied for donations as well.
* Belly Dancing Classes – Val Macias, the receptionist at the salon is a dancer and will teach mini (15 minutes) Belly Dancing classes to guests for a donation.
Mark your calendars now and more will be coming soon!